More Head Rolling and Less Kissing | Top Ten Tuesday

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

I'm a big fan of kissing*, but sometimes I wish books offered more head rolling and less gazing into each other's eyes/kissing passionately at the worst of times/declaring undying love a few pages after meeting a person**/all other romantic shenanigans. Sometimes a reader just wants to see the world burn. So, here are some books I think could do with way more head rolling and less kissing/romance.

*at least in theory, because I've never kissed anyone so I don't really know the particulars of dealing with another person's tongue 
**who am I kidding? I always want less inta-love

1. City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Excuse me, kids, but the world needs saving. So instead of kissing and lamenting and plotting can you actually get on with the actual world saving and do with less drugged infused make out sessions? Okay, thanks.

2. And I Darken by Kiersten White

This book had enough head rolling to satisfy me and the Queen of Hearts. However, I wish there had been even more head rolling. I'm sure there's going to be more in the sequel (there better be), but this book lacked some in the middle part. There's nothing wrong with the romance but I wanted Lada fierce and unflinching. Also, there's something that does it for me when people promise to kill each other constantly. It's all about the tension.

3. The Rose and the Dagger by Rennee Ahdieh

This book could really do with way more head rolling, or just any sort of violent action. I was expecting it, craving it because clearly I'm an ancient Roman empress at heart. Instead there was a bunch of sighing and longing and some bits of magic here and there. It wasn't enough to satisfy my heart. 

4. Blood Promise by Richelle Mead

I get the whole killing the one you truly loved after he got turned into an evil vampire while trying to protect you and your friends might be kind of hard, but still. I wish this book had less of that weird blood drinking thing it had going on and more kicking-ass or evil vampire head rollings around. I love Dimitri to pieces, don't get me wrong, but I kinda wish this book had been more action-heavy.

legit my thought process during this book

5. A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Grey

I was expecting a super kick-ass book about time travel and science stuff and time effing travel! Instead I feel like I got a predictable romance novel in which the evil corporations and other interesting stuff got put on the back burner in favor of the romance. I wanted more of the evil complexities of time travel and people who wanted to monopolize it. Because that's the kind of stuff I dig. So, it would have been great if there could have been less Paul and more of the other things. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed.


What are some books you think could do with less romance and more stabbings/head rolling/all of that other good stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment