Fabulous and Short Fictional Names I Would Give My Very Fictional Children | Top Ten Tuesday

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish, in which every Tuesday we list ten things (or more, or less) about that week's topic. This week's topic is fictional names you would give some very hypothetical things, like children (who are very real in some people's life but remain very very hypothetical in mine) or cars and dogs and all those things people name after other things, like cookies.


1. Terra

Terra is pretty much my name of choice for a girl. It is, I don't care that my parents and Spanish speaking friends mock me for it and ask me if I really want to subject my child to being named earth. Or being teased if she were to go to a Spanish speaking school, where bad jokes of "tierra" would folllow. I. Don't, Care. I love the name Terra so much, and I love the fictional lady Terra Cooper that inspired my love for the name even more.

2. Wes

I've had a thing for this name since I read The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. It's short and to the point and it just rolls off the tongue quite nicely. It also reminds me of Wes, so that's great. He was a great guy and if my hypothetical son is so be as great and considerate as Wes is, so be it.
my Wes is the kind of kid that kisses his mom's forehead, okay?

3. Kai

I love tons of Kais. Well, two, but I would like to fancy myself in love with more than that, okay? One of them is the nation's hottest emperor: Kai from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. His name is technically Kaito, but no one calls him that, so we are going to ignore it. I love this name it's sweet and nice and short. Also, all the Kais I know are extremely charming and have got that smile.


4. Rafe

This name is short and powerful. Two of my fave Rafes are Rafe from The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson and Raffe (the second f is optional in my most humble opinion) from Angelfall by Susan Ee. In all honesty, it's the name of a warrior. A sexy warrior, and if my future son has to be anything other than smart and respectful, it's sexy. I'm, after all, his mom. Also, I kind of want bragging rights over my friends because of my handsome son. 

5. Cress

This in honor of one of my favorite fictional ladies, Cress from The Lunar Chronicles. She's small and adorable and super badass. Also the name is just super cute and short. However, I come from a Spanish speaking family and I can already hear the jokes. I'm still doing it, so my family can fight me. 

6. Alex

I've always liked the short form of Alejandro, Alex. Also, it can be used for both girls and boys, so there's that. Plus, the no teasing factor from my Spanish speaking side of the family. A win all around. One of my favorite fictional Alexes is Alex from Delirium.

7. Theo

I looked everywhere for a fictional Theo or a Theodore (which I found in Jennifer Niven's All The Bright Places), just so I could include this name in the list. Theo is one of my favorite baby names, also just Theo. No Theodore nonsense. Theodore sounds like a middle aged man, or a really pretentious teenager. Although I suppose for there to be a middle aged Theodore there must be a teenager Theodore. Getting off track here. My point here being that if I were to have a baby boy I would probably name him Theo. 

8. Luna

I have an obsession with this name, and of course my favorite Ravenclaw Luna Lovegood is as perfect of a namesake as you can get. I just love it. I also happen to love the moon, so it's love all around. Also you can shorten it to Lu and if that isn't a super cute nickname I don't know what is.
maybe sungyeol is cuter than the nickname Lu, he at least gets damn close. just look at this dumb being cute. ugh

9. Nina

I'm currently reading Crooked Kingdom and I'm falling more and more in love with the name Nina. It's so feminine, but also has a ring of bad ass to it. Also, Nina is bae.

10. Lia

I know Lia is more along the lines of a nickname than an actual name, but I quite like the name. It's short, it's sweet. The way it rolls of the tongue is nice. Also, it's a princess name. Don't ask me why, it just is. Maybe I'm associating it with Lia from The Remnant Chronicles, or maybe my husband to be is a prince and our daughter will have an incredibly princess-y name.




No comments:

Post a Comment