The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes | Book Review

Thursday, July 28, 2016
Title: The Art of Lainey
Author: Paula Stokes
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 20, 2015
Source: Purchased
Buy the Book: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository
Soccer star Lainey Mitchell is used to getting what she wants, and when her boyfriend Jayson breaks up with her for no reason, what she wants is to win him back before the start of their senior year. Lainey and her friend Bianca check the interwebz for tips and tricks, but the online dating advice is all pretty lame. Then the girls stumble across a copy of The Art of War. Didn't someone once say that love is a battlefield? Jayson isn't going to stand a chance once Lainey and Bee go all Zhou Dynasty on him... Old school strategy and subterfuge meet modern-day dramarama in the story of a girl who sets out to win at all costs and ends up discovering what's really worth fighting for.

 What I thought

You know the feeling of wanting to write something but not being sure how to write it? That's how I feel as I write this review. This is by no means an indicator of me not liking this book. Because I did, like it I mean. However, to make things easier on myself I'm just going to make a list. Yes, a list. Get over it.

What I liked


  • Lainey's and Bianca's friendship. Granted, they talked a lot about boys, but their friendship was still strong.
  • Swearing in another language!
  • Micah. I'm a big fan of his.
  • Realistic portrayal of teenage boys.
  • Realistic 'what am I doing with my life?' teenage angst.
  • Great kiss scenes.
  • Quirky writing.
  • Lainey (most of the times).

What I didn't like

  • How predictable it was.
  • All the boy talk, all the time (don't look at me like that).
  • Kendall and Lainey's friendship. Just once I want girls to not tear each other down. Just once.
  • Jason Chase. Ugh.
  • Not enough of the sibling relationships shown.

Final thoughts

Overall, I really enjoyed the book.  Micah is a keeper. The cute was strong in this one. I wish there had been more of the other themes explored. Still, pretty satisfied with this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment