We Read The Books We Think We Deserve (ft. Hidden Book Gems) | Top Ten Tuesday

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

We are all lovers of books*, and yet we can't really appreciate all of the books out there**. Not only that, but it is a known fact that some books are just more loved than others. You can blame this on awful taste or just good old consumerism. We see tons of people reading a specific book, we want that book. For today's Top Ten Tuesday I'm going to talk about severely underappreciated books that I love so much I just think everyone should be reading them.

*if you are not how and why are you here. Unless you want to be converted into this painful cult of book loving in which case, you're welcomed to stay.
*we sure as hell can try, though. Just look at the size of our TBRs.

1. Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine


I'm now going to tell you all about how much I love this book, so brace yourselves, young ones. This book is a take on what could have happened if the Library of Alexandria hadn't been burned down. Little in this world upsets me as much as the fact that we lost all that knowledge. In the 8th grade I was so obsessed with the Library, I did in fact wondered extensively about what would have happened if... This book was a great take.

However, if you don't share my interest *cough* obsession *cough* and are thinking to yourself: whatever, Laura, please stop. This book is just a good book. It has intrigue and action and it's just plain interesting and it's about a library and e-readers (although they don't call them that although that is so what they are) vs. real books. Which is a dilemma we booklovers are familiar with. So, do yourself a favor and show this book some love. Okay, thanks.

2. Wanderlost by Jen Malone


This is a sweet contemporary about finding yourself while pretending to be someone else and traipsing around Europe. It's predictable and cheesy in all the right ways. It also happens to have a huge beating heart of the figurative kind and I enjoyed it so much precisely because of it's predictability and cheesiness. If you love sweet contemporaries shower this one with some love.

3. Bone Gap by Laura Ruby


Hear me out, y'all. This book is a dark magical realism read in which people dissapear and corn speaks (not really but more in a mysterious magical realism-y way). It's just so wonderful I don't even know how to express how wonderful and creepy and strange it is. This book is and you should read it. That's all I've got, even though nothing really made sense.

4. North of Beautiful by Justina Chen


I have made it my life mission to convince as many people as possible to read this book. Why? Because the feels are very strong with this one. I blame it all on how it's about inner beauty and struggling with your demons (even when those people are close to you) and coming to terms with who you are. It also helps that it's one of the first YA books I read that had a diverse characters, Jacob Fremont, who is an adopted Chinese boy with charm for days. Writing this is making me want to re-read this book. 

5. Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta


This is by far my favorite Melina Marchetta book* because of how honest it is. Also because of all of the female friendship and the family relationships and just because this book is honest with itself and in turn with you. I love it because the characters leap out from the page. Just read it, and while you're at it read every single Melina Marchetta book. You won't regret it. Believe me, I'm a book expert.

*this is a compliment of the highest class for I love all Melina Marchetta books.

What are some of your favorite hidden book gems? Do you agree on these books needing way more love than what they're getting?


No comments:

Post a Comment